Michael Perklin, a bitcoin and blockchain super-geek. We wears many hats in this space, including:
· Chief Information Security Officer, ShapeShift
· President, CryptoCurrency Certification Consortium (C4) - a non-profit standards organization for blockchains. It's humbling to serve alongside such smart and knowledgeable experts like Joshua McDougall, Pamela Morgan, Andreas M. Antonopoulos and Vitalik Buterin
· Chairman of the Board, Bitcoin Alliance of Canada - A non-profit advocacy group in Canada that provides a media outlet for Bitcoin and a lobby group for Canada’s Government to ensure blockchains remain free and open for all Canadians to use.
Some of his accomplishments include:
- He was one of the principal curators of the CryptoCurrency Security Standard (CCSS) which is a collection of security guidance and best practices for ensuring your application uses cryptocurrency keys safely
- Was called as a witness to the Canadian Senate Committee on Banking, Trade, and Commerce to give testimony on Bitcoin from an investigator’s perspective. The Canadian Senate issued a report and timestamped it into the blockchain!
- Ran for seat on the board of the Bitcoin Foundation in early 2014. He ranked 3rd place for the two available positions
- He’s spoken at many Bitcoin conferences including some in Texas, San Francisco, San Mateo, Toronto, New York, Miami, Rio De Janeiro, and London. Almost always about security.
For those who remember what life was Pre-Blockchain (year 1 P.B. = 2008. We are now in 7 A.B.) and care what he did before getting involved with bitcoin in 2011, he was a digital-forensic investigator and cybersecurity auditor.
Other things he enjoys include:
- Playing Guitar, Saxophone, fiddling countermelodies on his keyboard to electronic music
- Playing boardgames! Settlers of Catan, Agricola, Stone Age, Terra Mystica, Power Grid, Caverna, Ascension, Carcasonne, Splendor, Coup, Avalon, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes!, and many others. (He probably have 8 games of Ascension going on my phone at any given time with various people)
- Various Sci-Fi including Star Treks, Stargates, Primer
- Sharing a drink while having intellectually-stimulating conversation with intelligent company